• 1 head of cabbage (2 kg / 5 lbs.)
• 2 ½ lbs. - grinding pork (beef, chicken, turkey) (500 g / 2.5 lbs.)
• 1 big onion, finely chopped (200 g / 7 oz.)
• 1 big carrot, peeled, sliced (julienned) (150 g / 5 oz.)
• 1/2 cup of rice, rinsed (100 g / 3.5 oz.)
• 1 cup of tomato paste (300 g / 11 lq. oz.)
• 2 tsp. - salt to test
• ¼ tsp. – black pepper to test.
• 2 tbsp. - vegetable oil, for frying (50 g / 2 oz.)
• 1 tbsp. of sour cream – optional for serving (30 g / 1 oz)
For shell of rolls:
1. Boil cabbage, until they are soft and translucent.
2. Allow to cool it out.
3. Take the center of the cabbage head out and separate leaves
4. Place cooled cabbage leaves onto the chopping board. Carefully cut out the rough center vein in a v shape.
Prepare the stuffing:
On the fry pan with 2 tbsps. of vegetable oil put onion, finely chopped and slightly browning
1. add carrot, peeled, sliced (julienned)
2. Fry it for 5-10 min more
3. Allow to cool out
4. Mix grinding meat with fried cooled mixture
5. Add ½ cup of rinsed rice
6. Mix well
7. Season with salt and pepper
1. Add stuff into the center of a cabbage leaf
2. Fold in the sides and then roll tightly.
3. Repeat until you are out of stuffing
4. Place formed rolls in the 3 L pot (cast-iron is the best) with the seal side down.
5. Make sure that the rolls are placed tight next to each other.
1. Mix tomato paste with 3 cups of water
2. Add salt and pepper to test. We can add any spices you love with meet, (my friend love Italian Seasoning).
1. Add 4 cups of souse to the pot with formed cabbage rolls (rolls should be cover with souse liquid one finger on top, add water if need). If you have any cabbage left, you may add it on top of cabbage rolls.
2. Place a small plate on top to keep the rolls tight and to prevent them from opening.
3. Led pot and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat to medium to low and simmer for about 30 min, or until the cabbage leaves are tender and the filling is cooked.
5. Cover the pot for another 30-40 min. Rice should observe liquid
Serve it with sour cream or mayonnaise.