I love Tom Yum soup and hate to spit out the hard and not eatable lemongrass pieces, what I had with this delicious meal. To avoid that I start to use the French cuisine technic with a cheesecloth bag to easily clean the soup from the spices ingredients which already made their job. The result is satisfied with me. The incredible flavour left and uneatable ingredients go.
The soup is fantastic, tasty, spicy and with low calories. And 30 min cook worth you ever spent on cooking.
• 2-3 fresh strokes (20-25 cm each) of the lemongrass, chopped
• 5-10 fresh kaffir (lime) leaves, minced
• 1 (5-7 cm) root of galangal (or ginger, or turmeric), sliced
• 1 L of chicken bouillon (broth), home-prepared
• 15 big shrimps, peeled (or chicken breast, thin-sliced,), (or both). 500 g / 1 LBS
• 15-20 fresh mushrooms (champignon or shitake), sliced 400 g / 1 LBS
• 1-2 tbsp. of Tam Yam paste
• 2 tbsp. of fish sauce (salt replacement)
• 1 ½ cup (1 jar 385 ml) of coconut milk
• 1 fresh lime (fresh squeezed juice)
• 1 bunch of cilantro
• 3-4 strokes (5 cm) of the lemongrass, whole (option)
• 1-2 chilli pepper, well chopped or whole (option)
• 2-3 cherry tomato (option)
• 1-2 cloves of garlic (option)
• 1 small peeled shallot (option)
For 3 L pot
1. Add 1 L of water
2. Take the tight size of cheesecloth (I used 10x10 cm) and add 2-3 fresh strokes chopped lemongrass, 5-10 fresh kaffir (lime) leaves, the root of galangal. Make a bag and dip it in the water in the pot.
3. Add separately from the “spicy mixed bag” 2-3 fresh strokes (20-25 cm each) of the lemongrass
4. Boil it at the medium heat for 20-30 min.
5. Take a “spicy mixed bag” out and utilized.
6. Add 1 L of chicken bouillon (broth)
7. Add 15-20 fresh mushrooms (champignon or shiitake), sliced and cook it for 10 min
8. Add 15 big shrimps and cook it another 5 min
9. Add 1-2 tbsp. Tam Yam paste and 2 tbsp. Fish Sauce and mixed
The recipe and images are property and copyright of efoodmaster.com
Amount Per Serving = 350 g
Total Fat 3.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 85.6 mg
Sodium 713.0 mg
Potassium 233.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
Dietary Fiber 0.96 g
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 16.2 g